Tuesday, May 4, 2010

What I have learned...

It is hard to believe that this semester is coming to a close. It seems like only yesterday, we were sitting in our first class listening to Dr. Kist review the syllabus and discuss the expectations of the course. Many students, including myself, were quite overwhelmed at the beginning of the class. However, like all dedicated, competent scholars and researchers, we persevered.

This class truly introduced me to the often neglected "R"-writing. As a literacy educator, I have focused much of my attention on reading, my true love and passion. However, I now truly value writing, as well. I see the need to devote more time to teaching about writing and how to teach writing with my undergraduate students. Reading and writing are so intertwined, yet often taught as two separate entities. It is time for the silenced "R" to be heard.

I would like to thank my peers for sharing their numerous lines of inquiry. I learned so much about inference in writing, new literacies, multigenre writing, reflective writing, writing circles, ELL students, African American identities and writing, a/r/tography, and writing as healing with LGBTQ students. Our interests are varied, yet connected by the art of writing and the desire to engage our learners in authentic, collaborative, and meaningful reading and writing assignments.

Dr. Kist, thank you for an informative, interactive, and resourceful semester. The knowledge and understanding I gained as a result of this class is invaluable.

1 comment:

  1. I agree, where did the time go? I think this is a well needed class that made me realize how much we tend to leave the writing behind, regardless of its importance. I have always love to write(and read), and never really thought about how I taught it to my own students. Upon reflection, I see that perhaps the reason why many of my colleagues did not have their students writing was because they were not writers themselves.

    I always (even today) would take an essay test over a multiple choice test any day. I can remember telling my friends in junior high, high school and college that and they would just laugh and say I'm crazy. (Please no comments on that crazy part-after all I am a doc. student!!) Seriously, I always felt I could convey my ideas in an essay much better than trying to guess which answer was the absolute correct one in a multiple choice test (ah, to figure out what the teacher was really looking for). I would look at the m/c test questions and sit there and analyze them and say to myself that it really depended on the situation or this one seems the best, but not in this one particular case, etc.

    I, too, think this class has been very valuable and has really made me reflect on my own teaching practices!

    ReplyDelete